6 Billion Dollar business unit at a Big 4 firm had several internal teams across the US and several vendors delivering custom applications and platforms using a range of “agile” methodologies and the firm was seeing considerable duplication in effort across development workstreams.
Validated a set of common guard rails across three major workstreams then used this success and timesaving to drive buy-in and acceptance across all development teams.
- Defined and built cloud-based development operations framework that fully automated provisioning, configuration, and deployment/re-deployment.
- Implemented internal software development kit combining all existing reusable IP and creating index of all available services.
- Create application shell with standard UX which leveraged SDK and was published as starting point for any new application via automated creation cloud DevOps framework.
- 3-month hardware provisioning, environment configuration, and security approvals reduced to one hour via automated cloud process.
- Security and Risk impediments at start and middle of all projects eliminated.
- All development efforts reduced by at least 1/3 total cost of delivery — approximately $50M savings annually by year 2.
- Major reduction in duplication across programs with high buy-in by development teams to embrace reuse.